Thursday, March 26, 2009

Taming Impala Show

so this week was, yet again, a really good one. I handed in my first paper of the semester in my music class. before you start feeling too sorry for me, my paper was on Snoop Dogg, so it was actually pretty fun to do. during the week, i asked my music professor for some good venue suggestions, but before he could answer a kid named Tim spoke up and told me about an indie show at the Beach Road Hotel in Bondi. He invited me to meet him and his friends, so i took him up on it. We got to the show, and the bands were really good. Sherlock's Daughter opened for Taming Impala. Check them out.

Anyways, the bands were good, but during set up time, I SWORE that i saw Gareth Stehr (professional skateboarder) at the bar. so i went up to him and asked if he were Gareth. Turns out he wasn't but he was the australian team manager of birdhouse, analog, and gravis. While talking to Sparks (fake gareth), Dylan Rieder, Shaun Gregoire, and Sean Eaton all came over to join the conversation. Just one of the small world kinda deals that made my head spin.

Regardless, the bands finished and Tim had to leave, but he told me to go back with his friends to chill and hang out for the night. Me and two of my roommates went to our new friend's house in Coogee. We played guitar and drank some beers with Max, Pete, Gene, and Pip for a few hours then called it a night.

There is a good chance that I will be going with Gene to his beach house this weekend in Cronulla Beach, about an hour south of sydney. Should be a good time.

On a side note, traveling is really coming together! I just booked 5 days in cairns for a week on the Great Barrier Reef, skydiving, and jungle hikes. I have surf camp next weekend, i leave for thailand in 2 weeks, and i am booking my coross continent roadtrip this week. Monetarilly permitting, i will be going to New Zealand in late June, and Byron Bay sometime in May. And, let's not forget the mandatory Great Ocean Road weekend.

Even though I still have 3 whole months left, it's not enough. I never want to leave. For those of you reading, take the next statement with a grain of salt: I've been having a recurring nightmare where i just wake up from a nap and I am at home. I am just so upset everytime i realize I am not in Australia, but then i wake up and happily see my roommate danny snoring in the bed next to me. I never thought i'd be that happen to see a snoring puerto rican, haha.

PS - don't get me wrong, i do miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment