Sunday, April 5, 2009

Newtown, Surf Camp, and me loving life

I will apologize ahead of time for the spelling errors in this entry. I haven't been this tired in Australia (maybe ever). But, i will get to that in a second.

I will start by talking about my last week. I actually had an academic life, believe it or not. I had two papers and a presentation due last wednesday, so I was hard at work on tuesday. My efforts to procrastinate actually led to one of my favorite discoveries in Sydney. After class, me and chris made our way to Newtown, a small section of town just outside sydney uni. It exceeded all expectations. There was great (CHEAP) food everywhere, but had all the quaint independently run shops that a small town would have. If anyone reading is familiar with Baltimore, I would kind of compare it to Fell's Point. Anyway, it kinda hit me when I was sitting on the outdoor deck of Thai La-Ong waiting for my $6 Chicken Pad Tai that I had my moment of clarity: life really can't get a whole lot better for me. I was sitting in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, reading my hand-me-down copy of 'In a Sunburned Country' on a breezy, but sunny April 1st. Being independent in a totally new place is such a cool feeling. Anyways, i will stop before i get too much more sappy.

...And then I went to surf camp where life somehow becomes even cooler. I not only got to meet some really cool people from all over the world, but I finally feel like i got a solid foundation of knowledge to start my surfing career, haha. Saturday was a dream day. I got the crap kicked out of me all day by the waves, but I fought back and won occasionally. Afterwards, we had a great Barby with chicken, sausage, fresh salads, etc. then all headed up to the pub for a few drinks. After a few more beers, the band got better and we all danced up a storm for an hour or so. Charlie (my new english friend who is also Andrew Charles, but refers to himself as Charlie...crazy, right?) and I decided that since the band was not playing 'sweet caroline', it was a better idea to get a six pack and some people to head down to the beach to chill. Myself, charlie, Jason, Jahn, Andy, Michael, Liz, and Rich went down to the beach. In order to protect Rich's pride, I will just say that he really wanted to go skinny dipping and "get to know Jason better", haha. Rich was a highlight and we all had a good laugh. However, a full day of surfing and a few beers make you want to sleep, so we called it a night and went to bed.

The next day we did it all over again (minus the beers). Hence, that is why this has taken me over 50 minutes to write. I am so tired that I don't think I will even try to go to my bed. the couch might have to do.

Oh, and on a side note, a week from now, I will be in Bangkok, Thailand. How sweet is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment